Find a SLOC
Your Python interpreter says:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "my_project.py", line 102, in <module> if re.match(regular_expression, string): TypeError: expected string or buffer
While you obviously passed an object of wrong type to
you want to know of what type exactly. You finally fix the error in your
source code, but you figure a more verbose TypeError message would help
you trace such bugs in the future:
TypeError: expected string or buffer; got <type> instead
You decide to submit a bug report (or a wishlist item, since your report is about a feature extension) against the Python interpreter (CPython) source tree, so the project maintainers can fix it.
- Find the source line of code (in Python’s source) that results in above TypeError exception.
- Submit a bug report to Python’s issue tracker.
What you will learn
- How to trace issues to the core.
- How to access and read source code and how software projects are maintained.
- How to effectively search through the source code on the
command line – ask your instructors or read about